Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principal or horizontal axis of a system of coordinates, points along which have a value of zero for all other coordinates.Compare with y-axis
- ‘Then the percentages were multiplied by the factors indicated on the x-axis to determine the cumulative effect on reproduction.’
- ‘Next, the student selects the endpoints for the integral by clicking with the mouse on the x-axis in the graph window.’
- ‘Trait values defining the frequency classes are given on the x-axes.’
- ‘Sample size (n) for each box plot is provided on the x-axis.’
- ‘The percentage of genes transcribed at a certain level (y-axis) is plotted against the relative level of gene transcription (x-axis).’
- ‘Gene pairs were grouped according to their K s values into bins of width 0.5 whose lower boundaries are indicated on the x-axis.’
- ‘Times of species divergence in the x-axis are approximate estimates.’
- ‘By drawing a line through the points I could find where they crossed the x-axis, then measure the distance between crossings.’
- ‘We constructed credible intervals of different sizes, ranging from 10 to 90 % (x-axis).’
- ‘Each bar represents the variance among lines within a particular population-size treatment, listed on the x-axis with the control (C).’
- ‘Allele size in base pairs is given on the x-axis; frequency is given on the y-axis.’
- ‘In order to compare the evolution of foraging variables between birds, the x-axis was transformed into a percentage.’
- ‘Chromosomes I - V are represented across the x-axis.’
- ‘A fraction of the space between the boundary planes is homogeneously occupied with filaments oriented along the x-axis.’
- ‘The positions of the markers are denoted by solid circles along the x-axis.’
- ‘The 228 markers used in the genome scan are represented with vertical ticks on the x-axis.’
- ‘The resulting distribution of the number groups (Y-axis) against the number of sequences per group (X-axis) is shown.’
- ‘Sink populations contributed to the migrant pool in proportion to the value on the x-axis.’
- ‘The boundary between the two regions is indicated on the x-axis for 1 = 0.5.’
- ‘The y-axis represents the number of pixels (in arbitrary units) found in a certain range of values along the x-axis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.