Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The principal or horizontal axis of a system of coordinates, points along which have a value of zero for all other coordinates.Compare with y-axis
- ‘In order to compare the evolution of foraging variables between birds, the x-axis was transformed into a percentage.’
- ‘Sample size (n) for each box plot is provided on the x-axis.’
- ‘The percentage of genes transcribed at a certain level (y-axis) is plotted against the relative level of gene transcription (x-axis).’
- ‘The resulting distribution of the number groups (Y-axis) against the number of sequences per group (X-axis) is shown.’
- ‘Sink populations contributed to the migrant pool in proportion to the value on the x-axis.’
- ‘Chromosomes I - V are represented across the x-axis.’
- ‘We constructed credible intervals of different sizes, ranging from 10 to 90 % (x-axis).’
- ‘Trait values defining the frequency classes are given on the x-axes.’
- ‘Gene pairs were grouped according to their K s values into bins of width 0.5 whose lower boundaries are indicated on the x-axis.’
- ‘The positions of the markers are denoted by solid circles along the x-axis.’
- ‘Next, the student selects the endpoints for the integral by clicking with the mouse on the x-axis in the graph window.’
- ‘The 228 markers used in the genome scan are represented with vertical ticks on the x-axis.’
- ‘Allele size in base pairs is given on the x-axis; frequency is given on the y-axis.’
- ‘Then the percentages were multiplied by the factors indicated on the x-axis to determine the cumulative effect on reproduction.’
- ‘The y-axis represents the number of pixels (in arbitrary units) found in a certain range of values along the x-axis.’
- ‘The boundary between the two regions is indicated on the x-axis for 1 = 0.5.’
- ‘Each bar represents the variance among lines within a particular population-size treatment, listed on the x-axis with the control (C).’
- ‘By drawing a line through the points I could find where they crossed the x-axis, then measure the distance between crossings.’
- ‘A fraction of the space between the boundary planes is homogeneously occupied with filaments oriented along the x-axis.’
- ‘Times of species divergence in the x-axis are approximate estimates.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.