One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often as modifier A genre of Chinese fiction or cinema featuring itinerant warriors of ancient China, often depicted as capable of superhuman feats of martial arts.
- ‘He has turned wuxia into something utterly exquisite.’
- ‘The film is also an absolutely breathtaking visual feast, surpassing anything that has been achieved with wuxia films.’
- ‘We're looking now at the globalization of wuxia with the success of Crouching Tiger.’
- ‘Born in a time of social/political crisis, the wuxia film reflects a nationalist nostalgia/fantasy for a China that never was.’
- ‘Quite by accident, my friend had some wuxia novels imported from Hong Kong.’
- ‘Wong Kar Wai's one and only wuxia film has just been upgraded with loads of elegant enhancements.’
- ‘Woo himself also began early in his career as a director of martial arts kung fu and wuxia pictures.’
- ‘A very disappointing film and falling far short of the mark in the wuxia genre.’
- ‘Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero carries on the wuxia tradition of featuring strong female characters.’
- ‘I thought it would be very interesting for a wuxia movie to have this kind of structure.’
- ‘I'd be a fool if I wasted words savaging wuxia for not being high art.’
- ‘The Elimination Pursuit is a lesser-known wuxia that probably should have stayed lesser-known.’
- ‘I think Ang's relationship to wuxia is much more literary than it is filmic, in some ways.’
- ‘Astonishing action set pieces serve as punctuation marks for a piquant romantic melodrama in Zhang Yimou's second effort in the wuxia genre.’
- ‘Jade Empire is set in the alternate fantasy China of wuxia films.’
- ‘Tharoor noted that there were international exports of Bollywood films as well as Chinese wuxia and kung fu films.’
- ‘Jen is neither a typical villain nor a persona of heroic proportions in the conventional sense of chivalry inherent in the notion of wuxia.’
- ‘You can't do a wuxia film without having a tavern fight.’
- ‘From the outset, the picture signals a definite genre tradition, and from it flows hommages to the form, to old masters, and to the conventions and themes of wuxia.’
- ‘"Hero" has much in it to discuss, though the artful, exciting, and intelligent exploration of wuxia is far more interesting than the film's somewhat stolid political allegory.’
Chinese wŭxiá, from wŭ ‘military’ + xiá ‘knight errant’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.