Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a civil action in which damages are sought against a party for causing a death, typically when criminal action has failed or is not attempted.‘a wrongful death lawsuit’
- ‘The $9.6 million award in the civil wrongful death lawsuit against the city came after three and a half days of deliberation and nearly a month of testimony.’
- ‘He specializes in a variety of tort lawsuits, and has won significant victories in the areas of personal injury, product liability, wrongful death, and medical malpractice law.’
- ‘The officer may also face departmental charges, and the family can in addition file a wrongful death civil lawsuit against the city.’
- ‘A critical event occurred in the fall of 2000, when the father was named as a co-defendant in a medical malpractice / wrongful death suit.’
- ‘Your customer likely will face a manslaughter charge or worse, and a wrongful death lawsuit.’
- ‘It noted also that New York precedent had recognized a common law marriage - and done so under the wrongful death statute - despite New York's own statutory abolition of such marriage.’
- ‘New York has one case recognizing a Vermont Civil Union for purposes of a wrongful death suit.’
- ‘He noted that 720 malpractice and wrongful death suits have been filed there against area practitioners in the past seven years, with jury awards causing enormous economic damage to them and curtailing health care in the area.’
- ‘Some judges have accounted for the emotional loss of a pet in wrongful death and veterinary malpractice suits.’
- ‘Among the many laws amended by the Civil Union law was the wrongful death statute.’
- ‘The statute then requires all state and local government officials to treat civil unions as tantamount to marriages, for purposes of child custody, divorce, intestate succession, wrongful death litigation, and so on.’
- ‘As I discussed in a prior column, a few states, such as New York, have also recognized the ability of a same-sex partner to sue under the state's wrongful death statute.’
- ‘It more effectively avoids both stress-induced unintentional discharges, and false accusations of same that can lead to manslaughter charges and wrongful death suits.’
- ‘The man's family arrived in the city at the end of last month and announced a $150 million wrongful death lawsuit.’
- ‘The limitation of wrongful death damages to economic loss has one main consequence: High earners' families tend to get more.’
- ‘By contrast, the vaccine Act limits pain and suffering awards to $250,000 and wrongful death awards to $250,000.’
- ‘Management needs immediately to rethink its policy and save themselves another embarrassment, if not a wrongful death lawsuit!’
- ‘You know, first came the criminal charges, now a wrongful death lawsuit.’
- ‘The Mississippi court became just the fifth state supreme court after New Mexico, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Hawaii to affirm the recovery of hedonic damages in wrongful death cases.’
- ‘They know that negligence is the key ingredient to winning a wrongful death lawsuit, and for winning a manslaughter conviction.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.