One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A writer holding a temporary residential post in an academic establishment, in order to share their professional insights.
- ‘At breakfast, over fried apples, sausage and other hearty fare, guests are likely to begin their day hearing of works in progress from an Akwaaba writer-in-residence.’
- ‘Fay Weldon announced that she is to be the first writer-in-residence at the swanky Savoy Hotel.’
- ‘I am a writer-in-residence at the Paden Institute and Retreat for Writers of Color in Essex, New York.’
- ‘Vazirani was a writer-in-residence last year at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg.’
- ‘The author of the wildly successful book, Life of Pi, came to Saskatoon in October for an eight-month stint as the writer-in-residence at the Frances Morrison Library.’
- ‘A writer-in-residence and a librarian at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, she has written more than 40 works of fiction, poetry, autobiography, and theology.’
- ‘Currently a doctoral candidate in history at Harvard University, he spent six weeks in Taipei recently as a writer-in-residence at the government's invitation.’
- ‘In 1998 I went to the University of Mississippi, in Oxford, to become a writer-in-residence.’
- ‘‘Most recently we had John W. Sexton here as a writer-in-residence and the students absolutely loved it,’ says Kathleen.’
- ‘Theatre Calgary has named Massicotte as their writer-in-residence for the 2001-02 season.’
- ‘He became a campus cult there because of the book's environmental concerns and sympathy for animal rights and the result of this was that he was in demand as a writer-in-residence.’
- ‘Along with the writers-in-residence, who spend eight months in Calgary, distinguished visiting writers are hosted over a few days or weeks.’
- ‘Robert Biy has joined him as a writer-in-residence at the Writing Seminars, and they give talks about poets such as James Wright, which make students glad to be alive and glad to be there.’
- ‘Memorial Park Library has chosen Martine Bates as their writer-in-residence this fall.’
- ‘Brainchild of a writer-in-residence at Dartmoor Prison, ‘Storybook Dads’ has also been linked to a parenting project at Winchester, with inmates listening to the story tapes.’
- ‘I once took the draft of a story - the title of which I can't honestly remember - to a lovely man called Donald Campbell, who was the local writer-in-residence.’
- ‘Ansa, the former writer-in-residence at her alma mater, states that it's important for students to make that face-to-face connection and ask questions.’
- ‘Former writer-in-residence in Laois, Rita Kelly introduced the artist with a brief history of her career and inspirations.’
- ‘Betty Schellenberg, English department chair, believes that having a writer-in-residence highlights the department's tradition of valuing and producing creative work.’
- ‘Get together, if the spirit moves, for readings with the other writers-in-residence at night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.