One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pain or stiffness in the hand caused by excessive writing.
- ‘Their definition of a disease is loose, at best; the list includes everything from cancer and AIDS to constipation, colour blindness, writer's cramp and the hiccups.’
- ‘Getting writer's cramp in the midst of What Maisie Knew, Henry James hired a shorthand typist and his style changed accordingly.’
- ‘But even when mild, such spasm can be undesirable, as in writer's cramp or the analogous problems for musicians.’
- ‘A fellow joked afterwards that I should have writer's cramp what with all the books I had to sign.’
- ‘I've been scribbling a lot recently, so much that writer's cramp has set in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.