One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pain or stiffness in the hand caused by excessive writing.
- ‘Getting writer's cramp in the midst of What Maisie Knew, Henry James hired a shorthand typist and his style changed accordingly.’
- ‘But even when mild, such spasm can be undesirable, as in writer's cramp or the analogous problems for musicians.’
- ‘I've been scribbling a lot recently, so much that writer's cramp has set in.’
- ‘A fellow joked afterwards that I should have writer's cramp what with all the books I had to sign.’
- ‘Their definition of a disease is loose, at best; the list includes everything from cancer and AIDS to constipation, colour blindness, writer's cramp and the hiccups.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.