One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in reference to particular expertise or proficiency in a subject, area of activity, etc.‘they actually care about the product they are making and they wrote the book on customer service’‘he pretty much writes the book on how to be perfect in the media’
- ‘Clooney plays Miles Massey, a hotshot divorce attorney who wrote the book on prenuptial agreements.’
- ‘They could write the book on luxury, whether it's stays in country houses on the shores of magical lochs or voyages through the Outer Hebrides.’
- ‘Here were two football powers who wrote the book on heroics and football legends, rewriting it in a game and on a stage like this.’
- ‘I know how the whole ‘need-to-know’ system works: in fact I wrote the book on it!’
- ‘He's the man who wrote the book on duplicity.’
- ‘The only thing Robert is willing to reveal about the special guest mentor is that they could "write the book on vulnerability."’
- ‘The way she goes on, you'd think she wrote the book on fidelity.’
- ‘I could write the book on rehab.’
- ‘California wrote the book on approachability.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.