One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Reduce the nominal value of stock or goods.
- ‘How far those assets have been written down over the years, no one knows.’
- ‘Following poor sales, stocks had been written down by £288,000 on 31 March.’
- ‘The stocks had been written down and a book profit was realisable.’
- ‘Specific stocks were written down to fair value if an impairment in the value of the entire stock portfolio was considered to be other than temporary.’
- ‘As a result, over $82 million of borrowings were written down to $20 million and the company will be able to keep going for another bit.’
2Write as if for those considered inferior.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.