One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Protect (a disk) from accidental writing or erasure, as by removing the cover from a notch in the plastic casing of a floppy disk.
- ‘Note: after you are done configuring the Linux router, write-protect the floppy disk you are using.’
- ‘When you lend your own disk to others, always write-protect your disk.’
- ‘This is a very small switch located on the side of the drive, which enables you to write-protect the drive, from the flick of a switch.’
- ‘The user data area is divided into 64-byte blocks, and each block can be write-protected to prevent accidental deletion or alteration of data.’
- ‘In this way the disk can even be write-protected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.