Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process of restoring to profit a provision for bad or doubtful debts previously made against profits and no longer required.
reply, respond, say in response, speak in response, make a rejoinder, rejoinView synonyms
- ‘Net profit was HK $354,000, compared with a net loss of HK $13.6 million a year earlier, due to a one-off tax provision write-back and improved margins.’
- ‘Chaoda's net profits for the year to June 30 rose 37 per cent to 996.7 million yuan, or 0.46 yuan a share, including a one-off write-back of a 93 million yuan tax provision.’
- ‘The company said it will post a NT $5 billion one-time gain in the form of a special reserves write-back, aided by a Ministry of Finance rule change.’
- ‘The company made a provision of HK $219.8 million for the year, which was partially offset by the write-back.’
- ‘In respect of investments, there is a write-back of provision to the extent of Rs 86.74 crore against the investment depreciation of Rs 67.49 crore in the first quarter of 2002-03.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.