Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sport or activity of grappling with an opponent and trying to throw or hold them down on the ground, typically according to a code of rules.→ sumo
- ‘No longer is football any less in popularity in Japan as compared to sumo wrestling or baseball, which had for long been the most sought after sporting activity in the country.’
- ‘His programme began with roller skating and wrestling, though not at the same time.’
- ‘These situations would include sport matches in wrestling and judo where people are fighting with resistance.’
- ‘I wasn't training with weights to get better in football or wrestling.’
- ‘He said he hoped his age would inspire both the young and old with interest in wrestling to get actively involved in helping to revive the sport.’
- ‘Among the settled Fulani, there is a variety of traditional local sports and games, including wrestling and boxing.’
- ‘In high school, gymnastics and wrestling had an early hold on Stephan's athletic aspirations.’
- ‘They also showed scenes from some kind of fair in Mongolia with lots of people doing Mongolian wrestling and horse racing.’
- ‘Like soccer, bicycling, boxing, and wrestling are popular working-class sports.’
- ‘He threw himself into sports, primarily wrestling, and he succeeded in that until a pretty serious knee injury took him out of the sport.’
- ‘Tennis got the chop while sports such as rifle-shooting, kabadi, wrestling and volleyball received the nod.’
- ‘He took part in all sorts of games including wrestling, shooting, weight throwing and other sports.’
- ‘In our western culture we can date the development of martial arts such as archery and wrestling to ancient Greece.’
- ‘The movie is about the sport of high school wrestling, and Jimi, smart guy that he is, loaded the roles with Olympic and well-known wrestlers.’
- ‘Strength gained by doing this exercise is needed in sports such as wrestling and football to grab and hold or pull in your opponent.’
- ‘In college, he participated in nearly every activity available, including wrestling, drama, and writing.’
- ‘Get to as many tournaments as you can and support the sport of women's wrestling.’
- ‘With the rugby and soccer, we have phenomenal athletes and wrestling could be really big here.’
- ‘Sam is into wrestling and baseball and playing Playstation video games.’
- ‘General pushing strength is useful to all athletes who participate in contact sports such as boxing, football, rugby and wrestling.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.