Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Known throughout the world.‘the world-famous tenor José Carreras’
- ‘To the east, the world-famous Forth Bridge dominates, with the pretty villages of South and North Queensferry to either side.’
- ‘The medieval statues that line the world-famous Charles Bridge in Prague have seen a lot of history in the past 650 years.’
- ‘At the same time, many world-famous luxury brands have targeted China as a major growth market for the next decade and beyond.’
- ‘Plans for regeneration of the world-famous hotel were given the green light by Lancaster City councillors this week.’
- ‘The world-famous Vienna Boys' Choir has departed from more than 500 years tradition to perform pop and rock music.’
- ‘The world-famous painting stolen from a museum in Norway appears to have turned up safe and sound - in a cobbler's shop in Norden.’
- ‘But in the late 1970s it was home to a poltergeist who became world-famous.’
- ‘Later, this place would become world-famous, people travelling from all over the globe to see it.’
- ‘The theatre became world-famous for staging protest theatre throughout the repressive apartheid years.’
- ‘Built in 1823, the palace has a distinct Indian flavour and you can't help but see links with the world-famous Taj Mahal.’
- ‘Shops, bars, restaurants and arcades could soon be built on Southend's world-famous pier, it was revealed today.’
- ‘And now the world-famous circus is being banned from performing in the town where it attracted crowds of 2,000 a day.’
- ‘The world-famous stone, situated high in the battlements of the castle, dates back to 1314.’
- ‘The man who helped create York's world-famous Jorvik Viking Centre has offered to help save the Mystery Plays.’
- ‘For such a world-famous city, Liverpool has yet to host a world-class restaurant.’
- ‘The world-famous airshow, saved this year by a News Shopper-led consortium, will go ahead in 2004 as hoped.’
- ‘An entire section is devoted to the artist's commanding deer paintings including the world-famous Monarch of the Glen.’
- ‘Ski rental services, which provide ski equipment from world-famous brands, are also not in short supply.’
- ‘There will be a chance next month to share the musical memories of world-famous tenor Thomas Round.’
- ‘The move opens the way for the world-famous Tiptree company to bring in about 90 foreign students to pick the strawberry crop.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.