Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bench at which carpentry or other mechanical or practical work is done.
bench, board, work surface, worktop, counter, desk, bar, buffet, stand, workbench, worktable, top, horizontal surface, surfaceView synonyms
- ‘The main floor was littered with machinery and workbenches, the bulk and arches of cast-iron lathes, presses, moulds and mini furnaces.’
- ‘A large pile of construction materials, scraps, workbenches, tables and garbage accumulate around the displays as they are being built.’
- ‘You can buy a workbench or your can make it from scratch.’
- ‘Have the board hung above the workbench with each tool's resting place clearly marked.’
- ‘Wiping up sawdust, on the shop workbench, from drilling or sandpapering is easy.’
- ‘It can be placed in a corner of the garage, under a workbench, on a porch or in its own little shed.’
- ‘I bought a plain old mechanic's bench vise and bolted it to my garage workbench.’
- ‘Tack the lower two boards directly to your workbench to help hold the jig square.’
- ‘Sam walked over to a stool in front of a bare workbench and sat down, putting his coffee cup on the workbench.’
- ‘These have a fairly small, short table and are designed to be set up on a workbench or other type of stand.’
- ‘First, you need a good workbench or kitchen counter with a straight outside edge.’
- ‘He lays it down on the workbench and stands there, staring out the window.’
- ‘They offer a wide variety of storage options you may not even have considered, including workbenches, special cabinets, recycling bins-even bicycle hangers-to store all of your stuff and still fit your cars in the garage!’
- ‘If your tools have become scattered over the summer, or if they're in a pile on your workbench, now's the time to corral them.’
- ‘Clamp the molding in a wood vise, or to a workbench, or on a sawhorse.’
- ‘The vise is a workbench tool and should be firmly secured before being used.’
- ‘Likewise, plans for our master workbench and router table detail all you need to know to construct these time saving aids.’
- ‘I have all my tables and workbenches on rollers, so that I can move things around easily.’
- ‘Off he trotted back to the workbench and I hit my desk.’
- ‘They were spread casually about a large classroom with groups of white desks at the front and workbenches at the back.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.