Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not special, unusual, or interesting in any way; ordinary.‘your humble workaday PC’
ordinary, average, run-of-the-mill, middle-of-the-road, mainstream, conventional, unremarkable, unexceptional, unpretentious, plain, simple, undistinguished, nondescript, characterless, colourless, commonplace, humdrum, mundane, unmemorable, unspectacular, pedestrian, prosaicroutine, everyday, day-to-day, quotidiangarden-varietybog-standard, vanilla, plain vanilla, nothing to write home about, a dime a dozencommon or garden, two a pennyorneryView synonyms
- ‘The interpenetration of the worldly and the otherworldly, the mundane and the spiritual, the workaday and the worshipful, enrich our folklore as well as our classics.’
- ‘It's a modest, workaday coffee we routinely serve at home but sludge it ain't.’
- ‘In those days a whole host of pots could be found in gardens, including long-toms and workaday pots as well as rhubarb and kale-forcing pots, all made from terracotta.’
- ‘At first glance, shampoo is one of the most functional and workaday elements in your beauty routine.’
- ‘First, I had yearned to escape the workaday world where I went about my quotidian tasks and routines and travel to an isolated place filled with natural beauty and silence for my writers retreat.’
- ‘Some people think that the idea of a fairy tale romance is unrealistic, that it sets too high a standard and leaves you feeling disappointed in real-life, workaday relationships.’
- ‘White opened up at a ferocious pace, hitting nicks from all angles, powering balls to the deep court on either hand and slamming in three-wall-nick shots at such regular intervals that it came to look like a common workaday shot.’
- ‘But she also appreciates her surroundings and her community, and looks for her place among the sloping streets and workaday routines.’
- ‘Though they share nothing in upbringing, they have already found that they have a workaday attitude to showbiz in common.’
- ‘An affectionate arm around the shoulders, a warm and reassuring hug, a gentle touch upon the arm, even just an understanding glance, are enough to drive away the blues and kindle hope in a heart beset with workaday cares.’
- ‘Somehow Ludwig seemed to have succeeded in functioning in the mundane, workaday world and still keep a spiritual perspective on matters.’
- ‘Our fear, guilt, and, occasionally, even jealousy over the way the elderly are separated from workaday reality has led us to think about the ‘golden years’ as something that takes place in another realm.’
- ‘Smither's patient way of painting, however - moulding one slow layer over another - served to elevate humble workaday household items - cups, plates - to epic and monumental status.’
- ‘The old pilgrim paths sometimes beckon to us, teasing us from the routine of workaday lives with promises of spiritual glory and glimmers of the Divine, however we interpret that deeply human need.’
- ‘The routine, workaday books that keep rolling off printing machines and that one lives and works with today share very little of that quality, or that sensibility.’
- ‘Meanwhile, in the workaday world, women receive just 76 cents for every dollar paid to men for comparable jobs.’
- ‘Then there is the stuff of workaday journalism, rather like an ordinary meal one has to plough through, a chore worthwhile only for whatever nutritional value there may be.’
- ‘On a workaday basis, it doesn't matter much, to be honest.’
- ‘Though in the ordinary, workaday world, you find yourself with not a friend about you, step into the other world, and a universe of friends, this great, glorious brotherhood, will be there for you.’
- ‘But they are vastly outnumbered by packs of a more workaday character.’
- 1.1Relating to work or one's job.‘the workaday world of timecards and performance reviews’
- ‘Peering into their world was a welcome counterpoint to the workaday routine of her own life.’
- ‘The farmer performs workaday human movement: plain, uneventful, and unaccountably touching.’
- ‘This agency has become the official applier of yellow, smiley-faced stickers on an ugly economy that is stiffing America's workaday majority.’
- ‘The question is whether we can find secreted in the language of a particular text the bustling, workaday life of the common people.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.