One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Proceed gradually toward (something more advanced or intense)‘the course starts with landing technique, working up to jumps from an enclosed platform’
- ‘Medical experts who have experience with MSM suggest starting with 1,000 mg a day, in either capsule or crystal form, and gradually working up to 4,000 mg daily.’
- ‘Do as many wall push-ups as you can, gradually working up to 10 repetitions.’
- ‘This week I carefully built up the drawings from a light watered down line gradually working up to the darker.’
- ‘Do crunches 3 days a week, beginning with 2 sets of 10 reps each and gradually working up to 3 sets of 15 reps.’
- ‘Gradually work up to 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseeds daily to avoid bloating and gas.’
- ‘For example, start out at 70 percent of your maximum heart rate or lower and gradually work up to a higher intensity level.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.