One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Treat someone with violence; beat someone severely.‘the cops had worked him over a little just for the fun of it’
beat up, beat, attack, assault, knock about, knock around, maltreat, mistreat, abuse, batter, manhandleView synonyms
- ‘Any time life works us over to the degree that we experience combined physical and mental pain (usually stemming from some kind of loss), we are in the realm of alchemy.’
- ‘It looked like someone had worked him over to get him to say what they wanted him to say.’
- ‘Back in the ring Adam is working Dave over something terrible.’
- ‘She looks like she might attack again along with my buddy who just worked me over.’
- ‘They can work you over in an alley while singing an opera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.