One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official document giving a foreigner permission to take a job in a country.
- ‘He has a valid work permit and, he said, should have received his green card months ago.’
- ‘The plan was to overstay the visa, get a work permit and stay in America for good.’
- ‘Emerton has signed a four year deal and he was granted a work permit at a special hearing yesterday.’
- ‘Under the Immigration Rules, in order to extend work permit employment, one must have originally obtained a work permit.’
- ‘The broad eligibility criteria for obtaining a work permit are as follows.’
- ‘Currently, foreigners must apply for a work permit that is valid for one year, which may be renewed.’
- ‘I think that Britain should allow Bulgarian people into the UK and allow them to have a work permit.’
- ‘He was told he could apply for a work permit available to people from foreign countries with much-needed skills.’
- ‘If Congress gives the green light, millions of illegal aliens will receive a temporary work permit for three years.’
- ‘Some are likely to have already been in Ireland on a work permit, others will have returned to their home countries.’
- ‘He got a work permit for Britain in 2001 and worked in a restaurant.’
- ‘What you need to do right now is this: Go to your school guidance counselor and ask for a work permit.’
- ‘Directors can get a five-year stay and a work permit, renewable and without having to leave the country.’
- ‘She was granted a work permit as an adviser to Punjabi-speaking residents of north Manchester at a centre in Cheetham Hill.’
- ‘Already there is no primary immigration and the only legal way to get a work permit is through marriage or a family connection.’
- ‘It seems that if you are in tight with the government, either you can buy a work permit, or they are given out like candy if it is the right project.’
- ‘Many of the people who attended have a work permit and residency status while others are still seeking their paper work.’
- ‘However, if they get a work permit subsequently, they can upgrade their visas.’
- ‘They said he was visiting Britain to get a work permit to allow him to do charity work in Saudi Arabia, where he has been living recently.’
- ‘He not only had to support himself but also hold the work permit he needed to avoid deportation or imprisonment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.