One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to a college program that enables students to work part-time while attending school.
- ‘Today, there are hundreds of scholarships, grants, work-study programs, and government loans to help finance students' educational needs.’
- ‘Faculty sponsors pay 30 percent of students' wages; the college work-study program pays 70 percent.’
- ‘Schools must also consider the direct financial aid they provide to students and monies that fund work-study programs.’
- ‘Over the next 20 years, all the material was gradually identified and reassembled with help from fellow UCLA staff members and work-study students.’
- ‘The America Reads program employs about 29,000 work-study students to tutor tens of thousands of elementary school kids, making measurable improvement in reading skills.’
- ‘If you are not eligible for scholarships, grants or work-study programs the next option available to you is financing your education through loans.’
- ‘Offer a work-study program through your local high school or community college.’
- ‘The platform backed grants, loans, and work-study programs for students as well as continuing to favor tax credits to help offset the cost of college for needy students.’
- ‘She hired seven students from local colleges and high schools that have work-study programs.’
- ‘The act would adjust the status of undocumented students and allow them to apply for work-study and loans to finance their college education.’
- ‘And they said time sheets for students in a federal work-study program either had no supervisor's approval or were approved before the work period ended.’
- ‘It makes it far more likely that a student who is not in need of work-study or an outside job, would run for leadership positions.’
- ‘It just happened that every time I signed up on a work-study program, I was sent to a golf course.’
- ‘A few days later, I found a part-time job working in the library through the work-study program, one of the few financial aid benefits I was able to qualify for.’
- ‘‘We believe that we can assist [students] through scholarships, bursaries, work-study programs and other means of financial assistance,’ said Piper.’
- ‘‘We hired a medical student who was taking the year off and an undergraduate work-study student, and we started collecting data,’ he says.’
- ‘At the same time, government aid benefiting working class students, such as the student work-study program and grants contingent on financial need, have grown more slowly than tuition.’
- ‘Compared to other European countries, France is unique for beginning vocational education in schools instead of the workplace, and students in such programs undertake work-study segments.’
- ‘College work-study students usually can work a maximum of 20 hours per week at minimum wage.’
- ‘Brown also eliminated a work-study requirement for first-year students beginning with the Class of 2006, and replaced those funds with additional scholarships.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.