One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to a college program that enables students to work part-time while attending school.
- ‘At the same time, government aid benefiting working class students, such as the student work-study program and grants contingent on financial need, have grown more slowly than tuition.’
- ‘The act would adjust the status of undocumented students and allow them to apply for work-study and loans to finance their college education.’
- ‘College work-study students usually can work a maximum of 20 hours per week at minimum wage.’
- ‘Faculty sponsors pay 30 percent of students' wages; the college work-study program pays 70 percent.’
- ‘Today, there are hundreds of scholarships, grants, work-study programs, and government loans to help finance students' educational needs.’
- ‘The America Reads program employs about 29,000 work-study students to tutor tens of thousands of elementary school kids, making measurable improvement in reading skills.’
- ‘‘We believe that we can assist [students] through scholarships, bursaries, work-study programs and other means of financial assistance,’ said Piper.’
- ‘And they said time sheets for students in a federal work-study program either had no supervisor's approval or were approved before the work period ended.’
- ‘Brown also eliminated a work-study requirement for first-year students beginning with the Class of 2006, and replaced those funds with additional scholarships.’
- ‘Compared to other European countries, France is unique for beginning vocational education in schools instead of the workplace, and students in such programs undertake work-study segments.’
- ‘She hired seven students from local colleges and high schools that have work-study programs.’
- ‘A few days later, I found a part-time job working in the library through the work-study program, one of the few financial aid benefits I was able to qualify for.’
- ‘If you are not eligible for scholarships, grants or work-study programs the next option available to you is financing your education through loans.’
- ‘The platform backed grants, loans, and work-study programs for students as well as continuing to favor tax credits to help offset the cost of college for needy students.’
- ‘‘We hired a medical student who was taking the year off and an undergraduate work-study student, and we started collecting data,’ he says.’
- ‘Schools must also consider the direct financial aid they provide to students and monies that fund work-study programs.’
- ‘It makes it far more likely that a student who is not in need of work-study or an outside job, would run for leadership positions.’
- ‘Offer a work-study program through your local high school or community college.’
- ‘It just happened that every time I signed up on a work-study program, I was sent to a golf course.’
- ‘Over the next 20 years, all the material was gradually identified and reassembled with help from fellow UCLA staff members and work-study students.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.