One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) lazy and disinclined to work.
- ‘As a result, British films and TV programmes are littered with images of the archetypal work-shy idler.’
- ‘Tougher financial sanctions would make work-shy whingers show a bit more responsibility.’
- ‘The man must be a workaholic; people like him are potentially very depressing to work-shy folks like me.’
- ‘With two films to his name, a third in the can and a fourth in pre-production, the prolific 28-year-old has already surpassed the work-shy Malick's 30-year tally.’
- ‘What is more surprising is that hard-working people so often shrug their shoulders and accept that the work-shy are entitled to what they can get off the state.’
- ‘Factory workers are depicted as work-shy and devious, company directors as unscrupulous.’
- ‘In his measures against the work-shy and corrupt, he favoured vigorous penalties more than an improvement of the situations which gave rise to their vices.’
- ‘I didn't really need one, I just guessed there'd be mirrors in the toilet area, and I wanted to check my appearance, to see if I really did look work-shy and/or simple.’
- ‘Smith was also somewhat work-shy, a factor absent in most successful revolutionaries.’
- ‘He quickly dismisses any notion that he's turned into a work-shy recluse.’
- ‘If someone has successfully completed an epic, exhausting, hazardous journey to get here, why assume that they will become lazy, work-shy good-for-nothings when they arrive?’
- ‘I am not work-shy and donate some of my time to charity on a voluntary basis.’
- ‘Sykes was uppity, cunning and work-shy, while Hattie - magnificent in stature - was timid and trusting by nature, and easily suckered into her brother's misbegotten schemes.’
- ‘There are so many subliminal motivational messages around this building, it's all I can do to remain disinterested and work-shy.’
- ‘‘Many people tend to think of them as alcoholics, as work-shy individuals,’ Bogans said.’
- ‘Nor do things look much better for work-shy Scots of the future.’
- ‘So Micky, his equally work-shy best mate from a house clearance company, has the master plan of reinventing him as a gigolo.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.