Toughen (a metal) by cold-working.
- ‘The rest of the strength is generated by work-hardening.’
- ‘Steel actually work-hardens over time, so in theory, steel shafts get slightly stiffer the more they're used.’
- ‘Repeated expansion and sizing work-hardens the case and overtime makes it less resilient.’
- ‘Machining operations are normally limited to turning and milling because manganese steel work-hardens under load.’
- ‘As it is fired and sized a brass case tends to work-harden so it should only be used once or twice for base measurements.’