One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases, specifically (in psychiatry) as a form of speech indicative of advanced schizophrenia.
- ‘She doesn't do sound-bites; she does word salad - great jumbled streams of consciousness which she tosses, revises and reinterprets.’
- ‘There are strange moments of lucidity and then long fugues of confusion and word salad.’
- ‘The guests contribute positive balance to our rapper's frantic word salad, but it isn't exactly necessary.’
- ‘Okay, now, do you feel: a) needlessly annoyed by a Dadaist word salad; or b) intrigued?’
- ‘The current classification by pathology puts word salad with word salad, obesity with obesity, and phobia with phobia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.