Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A program or machine for storing, manipulating, and formatting text entered from a keyboard and providing a printout.
- ‘Armed with a word processor, a spreadsheet and some program to access their proprietary software running on a server, you could quickly convert a bank over to Linux desktops.’
- ‘The Model 100 comes with a strong application lineup, including a word processor called TEXT, an organizer, address book and telecommunications program.’
- ‘Most application programs, such as a word processor or spreadsheet, are assigned this priority.’
- ‘The word processor and spreadsheet are all right but I'd be lying if I didn't say they barely measure up to Office 97 which frankly, is a disgrace.’
- ‘The program contains a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program.’
- ‘The regional government paid a local company $180,000 to assemble a set of freely available software, including operating system, word processor, spreadsheet and other applications.’
- ‘At times like this, a suite of office software with a word processor, a spreadsheet and a selection of other handy office tools comes into its own.’
- ‘In the same way that a scale here and a chord there do not a symphony make, there is more to a word processor than a spell checker and a couple of font definitions.’
- ‘Business machines were drab, bare-bones affairs that could connect to the Internet, manage to run a spreadsheet and a word processor at the same time, and that's about it.’
- ‘The video signals leaking from your monitor change as you type using a text editor or word processor.’
- ‘Historically, data consisted primarily of text, word processor documents, spreadsheets and the like.’
- ‘The suite comes with three main components - a word processor, a spreadsheet and a graphical presentation program.’
- ‘Even with tabbed browsing, doing research effectively requires using a word processor or some other app to write things down.’
- ‘Taking a word processor or text editor as our example, the user's goal is to write something.’
- ‘The suite contains the key programs you're likely to need, including word processor and spreadsheet software.’
- ‘Frankly, in many larger places, the folks who do the initial screening don't have a clue about operating systems or computers, beyond pulling up a word processor or spreadsheet and using it.’
- ‘Most of them run typical office software, including word processor, spreadsheet and e-mail, so it is the perfect time to offer them an alternative.’
- ‘In addition to the usual bug fixes, the update is said to add not only a web browser and an email program, but a word processor and a spreadsheet.’
- ‘Sixty central processing units boast a memory bandwidth of 22.4 gigabytes, one thousand times the computing power of the word processor used to create this text.’
- ‘It also allows the user to copy and paste the text into a word processor, email or clipboard.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.