Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The production, storage, and manipulation of text on a computer or word processor.
- ‘The classes teach the basics of computing, word processing, spreadsheets, Internet browsing and Web cameras.’
- ‘Typewriting institutes are becoming an oddity, as manual typewriters are swept away by word processing software and computer keyboards.’
- ‘These are heady days for people like us, some of whom learned HTML as a sort of extension to our word processing software.’
- ‘If you want a PC for word processing, spreadsheets and internet use, a fast computer is not essential.’
- ‘The three machines stolen in yesterday's theft were used by pupils for word processing, databases and spreadsheets as well as Internet access for research.’
- ‘Teachers are using the computer for word processing and simple math calculations.’
- ‘As with email programs, word processing programs are not all created equal as well.’
- ‘Even the cheapest of laptops has more than enough power to drive word processing, spreadsheet and internet programs and to run video and multimedia as well.’
- ‘There's word processing, spreadsheets, calendars, personal directories, even a photo gallery.’
- ‘On the ground floor, some surf the Web, check their e-mail, burn CDs or simply use the computers for word processing.’
- ‘They will edit and produce their books more or less as they are used to, using word processing and desktop publishing tools.’
- ‘She does four things on her computer - email, Web, word processing, and solitaire - so Linux would be perfect for her.’
- ‘Moreover, other staff members were beginning to use the computer for tasks such as word processing and spreadsheets.’
- ‘It offers key competencies in word processing, data processing, presentation, the Web and email.’
- ‘I mostly use my computer for word processing and e-mail to my friends.’
- ‘It will incorporate word processing, Internet and E-mail.’
- ‘An online resume is one you create using word processing software and e-mail or post on the Internet.’
- ‘Not having a PC at home, some weekends I need to hire one for access to the Internet, to use word processing or spreadsheet programs.’
- ‘You can use the program with email, word processing, web browser, and even with your web page editor.’
- ‘Most people do word processing, check email and surf the web.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.