One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A solemn promise.‘I'll be good to you always, I give you my word of honor’
promise, word of honour, assurance, guarantee, undertakingView synonyms
- ‘I know my duty well, and I give you my solemn word of honor that I will not disappoint you or our people.’
- ‘Not until we gave our word of honor did expressions cautiously start to change.’
- ‘We thought we had their word of honour that these guys would be released much earlier.’
- ‘We don't want your money, just your signature - and when the time comes, your willingness to carry through on your word of honor.’
- ‘He said on his word of honour that they had no connection with the Indian Communist Party.’
- ‘This inn was visited by Russian inhabitants and French prisoners of war, who were granted freedom of movement on their word of honour.’
- ‘Just fax us what you want, promising us on word of honor that you are over 18 and these and much more can be yours.’
- ‘Kohl refused, saying he had given his word of honor.’
- ‘What I prefer is a handshake and a person's word of honor.’
- ‘He was known for his meticulous interviews and his strict word of honor about protecting witness identity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.