One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In exactly the same or, when translated, exactly equivalent words.
verbatim, line for line, letter for letter, to the letterverbatim, literal, exact, direct, precise, accurate, faithful, strict, undeviatingView synonyms
- ‘Anyway here is the URL for the article: and this is where he stole it from, word for word.’
- ‘Students, at their examinations, had to reproduce their teachers' lessons word for word.’
- ‘Its editor apologised profusely and told us it is not their policy to lift stories word for word and it wouldn't happen again.’
- ‘This is a text message I received the other day from him - word for word.’
- ‘Sign language is visual, and isn't always translated word for word into English.’
- ‘The following is a transcript, nearly word for word, of a tape recording I made earlier tonight.’
- ‘Every child in the land knew it word for word by the following Monday.’
- ‘It is the same thing you put in your complaint, word for word almost.’
- ‘I wish I could translate the song for you guys word for word, but it would take too much time.’
- ‘We watch episodes over and over again… We know them word for word.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.