Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An inability to identify spoken words, resulting from a brain defect such as Wernicke's aphasia.
- ‘Patients with pure word deafness have highly selective auditory perception problems.’
- ‘Pure word deafness can arise from a problem at any point of the process of auditory encoding for speech.’
- ‘The findings have important implications for our conceptualization of pure word deafness and its subtypes.’
- ‘Other common names are auditory perception problem, auditory comprehension deficit, central auditory dysfunction, central deafness and so-called ‘word deafness.’’
- ‘Cortical deafness is essentially the combination of word deafness and auditory agnosia.’
word deafness/wərd ˈdefnəs/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.