An inability to identify spoken words, resulting from a brain defect such as Wernicke's aphasia.
- ‘Other common names are auditory perception problem, auditory comprehension deficit, central auditory dysfunction, central deafness and so-called ‘word deafness.’’
- ‘The findings have important implications for our conceptualization of pure word deafness and its subtypes.’
- ‘Pure word deafness can arise from a problem at any point of the process of auditory encoding for speech.’
- ‘Cortical deafness is essentially the combination of word deafness and auditory agnosia.’
- ‘Patients with pure word deafness have highly selective auditory perception problems.’
word deafness/wərd ˈdefnəs/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.