One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The total quantity of wool shorn from a particular flock or in a particular area in the course of a year.
- ‘Only in the 1880s did horse teams displace bullock teams in transporting the Riverina wool clip.’
- ‘He says the wool clip in pastoral areas is much better this year than last year when the drought was in full swing and quality has markedly improved.’
- ‘They could not only buy an abbey's entire wool clip for the current year; they could also buy it for years in advance.’
- ‘In a partnership between Kendal carpet-makers Goodacres and the National Trust, 140 fell farmers have been selling their Herdwick wool clip for carpet production.’
- ‘The wool clip increased, but its value plummeted and pastures came under enormous pressure as farmers tried to maintain their income by increasing sheep numbers to unprecedented heights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.