One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen fern with leathery dark-green fronds.
- ‘The evergreen woodfern, D. intermedia, is similar to the spinulose woodfern, Dryopteris carthusiana, and the northern woodfern, Dryopteris expansa.’
- ‘Along the Wildflower Trail at the Arboretum, I have planted many ferns, emphasizing the marginal, male, and Goldie's woodferns (Dryopteris marginalis, D. filix-mas, and D. goldiana, respectively), the Christmas fern, the Braun's holly fern (P. braunii), the maidenhair fern, and the ostrich fern.’
- ‘Many of the small to medium-sized ferns growing in the woods belong to a large group of woodferns with over 1200 species worldwide, included in the genus Dryopteris, though some species have had other generic names such as Aspidium.’
- ‘A wide variety of herbaceous species are also present, the most common of which include aster and goldenrod species, marginal and fancy woodferns, Canada mayflower, sedges, garlic mustard, and a variety of clubmosses; a surprising number of orchid species were found here.’
- ‘Often, especially in the north, the understory is poor with only a few dominants such as woodferns (especially Dryopteris intermedia), bluebead and Canada mayflower.’
- ‘Once established in soil that is well amended with organic matter, woodferns need little care.’
- ‘Understory plant diversity increases here, with woodferns (Dryopteris spp.), hobblebush, and tree saplings being most prominent.’
- ‘In it grow such ferns as adder's tongue fern, bog fern, Christmas fern, crested fern, Goldie's fern, maidenhair fern, New York fern, ostrich fern, and spinulose woodfern.’
- ‘Aquarius Research Natural Area is particularly rich in ferns, including Western polypody, spreading woodfern, oak fern, male fern, bracken fern, and sword fern.’
- ‘Racemes of foamflower reach toward the arching stalks of Solomon's seal and columbines mingle with the marginal woodferns.’
- ‘The golden chalices of Celandine Poppies mingle with Virginia Bluebells and intertwine with woodferns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.