One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen fern with leathery dark-green fronds.
Genus Dryopteris, family Polypodiaceae, numerous species, including the common evergreen (or marginal) woodfern (D. marginalis)
- ‘Aquarius Research Natural Area is particularly rich in ferns, including Western polypody, spreading woodfern, oak fern, male fern, bracken fern, and sword fern.’
- ‘Along the Wildflower Trail at the Arboretum, I have planted many ferns, emphasizing the marginal, male, and Goldie's woodferns (Dryopteris marginalis, D. filix-mas, and D. goldiana, respectively), the Christmas fern, the Braun's holly fern (P. braunii), the maidenhair fern, and the ostrich fern.’
- ‘Understory plant diversity increases here, with woodferns (Dryopteris spp.), hobblebush, and tree saplings being most prominent.’
- ‘Often, especially in the north, the understory is poor with only a few dominants such as woodferns (especially Dryopteris intermedia), bluebead and Canada mayflower.’
- ‘The golden chalices of Celandine Poppies mingle with Virginia Bluebells and intertwine with woodferns.’
- ‘The evergreen woodfern, D. intermedia, is similar to the spinulose woodfern, Dryopteris carthusiana, and the northern woodfern, Dryopteris expansa.’
- ‘Many of the small to medium-sized ferns growing in the woods belong to a large group of woodferns with over 1200 species worldwide, included in the genus Dryopteris, though some species have had other generic names such as Aspidium.’
- ‘In it grow such ferns as adder's tongue fern, bog fern, Christmas fern, crested fern, Goldie's fern, maidenhair fern, New York fern, ostrich fern, and spinulose woodfern.’
- ‘A wide variety of herbaceous species are also present, the most common of which include aster and goldenrod species, marginal and fancy woodferns, Canada mayflower, sedges, garlic mustard, and a variety of clubmosses; a surprising number of orchid species were found here.’
- ‘Once established in soil that is well amended with organic matter, woodferns need little care.’
- ‘Racemes of foamflower reach toward the arching stalks of Solomon's seal and columbines mingle with the marginal woodferns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.