One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A migratory European leaf warbler found in woodlands, with plaintive calls and a trilling song.
Phylloscopus sibilatrix, family Sylviidae
- ‘Still other studies have focused on the potential for introgression to put species at risk of extinction; research with this emphasis includes recent work, for example, on two pairs of North American wood warblers.’
- ‘The woods are full of birds, and top attractions are the pied flycatcher, spotted flycatcher, tree pipit, wood warbler and redstart.’
- ‘Wood peckers, herons, tawny owls and wood warblers are common in the area.’
- ‘Those factors included seasonal changes in capture rate, age, sex, and fat scores of Wilson's Warblers; time interval between capture and recapture; abundance of other wood warblers; and seasonal patterns in arthropod abundance.’
- ‘The Kirtland's Warbler is one of the rarest of all the wood warblers.’
- ‘That is a relatively short time period even within the life span of a wood warbler.’
- ‘Swainson's Warbler territories in Great Dismal Swamp are large relative to those of other migratory wood warblers.’
- ‘On arrival here, the male wood warbler quickly advertises his presence; the highly distinctive song may be heard from dawn until dusk for weeks at a time.’
- ‘The sternum supports the principal flight muscles (pectoralis and supracoracoideus), which compose as much as 25% of lean body mass in wood warblers.’
- ‘In wood warblers, when body mass is standardized for body size, it is a reasonable predictor of an individual's fat content.’
- ‘And I heard my first wood warbler this year while in amongst the garlic.’
- ‘We saw a Yellow-breasted Chat, a large wood warbler (the largest, in fact) that looks a lot like an American Robin.’
- 1.1 Any New World warbler of the subfamily Parulinae, family Emberizidae.
- ‘The wood warblers - members of the tribe Parulini - form a very large group of neotrops.’
- ‘They say this warbler is the most sexually dimorphic of all wood warblers&hellip.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.