One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heater or stove that is fueled by wood.
- ‘Have your fireplace or wood stove inspected annually to remove any creosote build-up, which can block the chimney, forcing toxic fumes back into your living room.’
- ‘Snow dampened, our clothes hung on chairs round the old wood stove.’
- ‘Install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures where wood stoves are in use, so you can adjust burning practices as needed’
- ‘As you snuggle in front of a cozy fire or bask in the warmth of your wood stove, you are taking part in a ritual of comfort and enjoyment handed down through the centuries.’
- ‘I washed diapers in water heated on the wood stove.’
- ‘"People who live with a wood stove find it cozy," he says, adding that the slower fire is "very mesmerizing."’
- ‘The wooden walls were thick, the shutters were permanently closed and the wood stove in the corner was going flat out.’
- ‘They reached the Takakkaw Falls warden cabin, where they slept, all in one room with a smoking wood stove.’
- ‘Supervise children and pets closely around wood stoves and fireplaces.’
- ‘Debris too close to the fireplace, or to a wood stove, could easily catch fire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.