Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small woodland plant with cloverlike leaves and five-petaled flowers.→ sorrel
- ‘Areas cleared of rhododendrons will be recolonised with plants such as bluebells, wood sorrel and honeysuckle.’
- ‘The chef director is a fan of fresh spring salad leaves such as wood sorrel, bittercress, wild lamb's lettuce and ivy toadflax.’
- ‘We went in on a path where the cottonwood trees towered high above us and the leaves cast patterns of sunlight on the wood sorrel road.’
- ‘Honeysuckle, fraochan, wood sorrel, bugle, blue-bell, few-flowered woodrush, royal fern, hay-scented buckler fern and foxglove all occur on the forest floor along with numerous mosses and liverworts.’
- ‘The plant looks like some class of a clover or even a wood sorrel to me.’
- ‘Red mullet with tomato confit, watermelon, and buckwheat salad, fresh almonds and wood sorrel are all on the menu.’
- ‘As a result, Forager charges fairly hefty prices for its wares: a flat rate of £15 per kilogram box, whether it be full of grey field blewit mushrooms, or a spicy and piquant selection of wood sorrel, wild chervil and dandelion leaves.’
- ‘It gathered flowers from the forest floor as they walked: yellow celandine and primrose, pale anemone, pink-veined wood sorrel, purple hepatica, lilac and plum violets.’
- ‘Magnificent displays of bluebells are out just now and the ground vegetation also has an abundance of foxgloves, heath bedstraw and wood sorrel.’
- ‘Venison (fresh and salted), wild boar, hazelnuts, berries, haws, crabapples, watercress, wood sorrel, and wild garlic are alluded to frequently as highly regarded wild foodstuffs.’
- ‘The yarn would usually be mordanted with oxalic acid from wood sorrel, iron, or even an alkaline solution made from stale urine.’
- ‘If you like spring flowers then there are primroses, coltsfoot, dogs mercury, wood sorrel and many other species.’
- ‘A nice forest-edge path leads off, buds bursting on the trees, the ground carpeted by wood sorrel with its pretty white flowers and origami-folded vivid leaves.’
wood sorrel/wo͝od ˈsôrəl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.