One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A burrowing plant-eating Australian marsupial which resembles a small bear with short legs.
Family Vombatidae: two genera and three species, in particular the common wombat (Vombatus ursinus)
- ‘So each species will probably carry a different profile but we have yet to look at various species such as kangaroos and wombats and others that come to mind immediately.’
- ‘On Terra these include kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, opossums, and wombats.’
- ‘Amateur fossil hunters have helped to uncover the oldest known ancestor to kangaroos, koalas, possums, and wombats.’
- ‘Like their koala cousins, wombats have a hardened layer over the muscles of their rump; a very hardened layer.’
- ‘As Gondwana broke up, the link was broken, and the Australasian marsupials evolved in isolation, giving rise to the modern groups of koalas, bandicoots, wombats, and kangaroos.’
- ‘Koalas and wombats are probably each other's closest relatives.’
- ‘It is also my first chance to see the wonderfully unique wildlife here; kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, pademelons, possums, and various unique birds.’
- ‘It is home to possums, pelicans, the duck-billed platypus, the kookaburra, kangaroos and wombats, to name just those he found for us during our adventure into paradise.’
- ‘In fact there is a great deal at Riversleigh that is more complex than just the fossils of koalas and wombats and kangaroos and other weird creatures.’
- ‘So the extension of the term ‘marsupial’ is the set of all marsupials: kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, and so on.’
- ‘There are a variety of possums, early kangaroos, koalas, wombats and quolls, as well as marsupial groups that are now completely extinct.’
- ‘To the kangaroos and emus of the outback, I was able to add sightings of wallabies, a wombat, and an echidna.’
- ‘Maybe you would see koalas, wombats, echidnas, brush tail and ring tail possums and emus if you're lucky.’
- ‘Australia once boasted a spectacular megafauna including giant wombats as big as grizzly bears and giant kangaroos.’
- ‘Well Kayne's waistcoat was made out of several native Australian animals, possibly possum, wombat, kangaroo and wallaby pelts, all sewn together.’
- ‘The online survey is quick and easy to fill out, and if you don't know your wallabies from your wombats there's a picture gallery to help you.’
- ‘Scientists think an Ice Age marsupial similar to modern wombats was much larger than previously believed.’
- ‘Wroe's team recognized that for marsupials (like koalas, wombats, and kangaroos) brain size could be used to estimate overall body weight.’
- ‘The skeleton of a very large Diprotodon, an extinct fossil marsupial somewhat resembling a wombat the size of a rhinoceros, had been discovered south of Karratha in the Pilbara region.’
- ‘There, fishermen sold the French more animals, including dwarf emus, a tame kangaroo and several more wombats, all of which arrived safely in France on March 24, 1804.’
Late 18th century: from Dharuk.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.