One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The organ in the lower body of a woman or female mammal where offspring are conceived and in which they gestate before birth; the uterus.
- ‘This was surprising to me - the hormones we're exposed to in the womb affect our finger lengths in statistically significant ways.’
- ‘Its open letter on cloning was prompted by newspaper headlines of Panos Zavos's claims to have transferred the first cloned human embryo into a woman's womb.’
- ‘Pregnant women can get varicose veins because of the pressure on the veins in the pelvis as the womb expands.’
- ‘In the past, it was thought that the baby's feet were twisted or cramped because of the way the baby lay in its mother's womb.’
- ‘The baby is protected by the amniotic fluid in the womb and by your abdomen.’
- ‘In emergencies a vertical abdominal and womb incision may be used.’
- ‘I only ever say womb as a joke, although uterus sounds ridiculously medical.’
- ‘Aquatic experiences begin in the mother's womb where an infant is surrounded by amniotic fluid.’
- ‘This is a major operation in which the cervix and womb are removed.’
- ‘One of the things your health care provider monitors is the size of your abdomen and the amount of amniotic fluid in your womb.’
- ‘Malrotation is a type of mechanical obstruction caused by abnormal development of the intestines while a fetus is in the mother's womb.’
- ‘This fertilised egg then needs to be implanted in the woman's womb.’
- ‘Some of the man's sperm is put into the woman's womb at the same time as ovulation (the release of an egg), making conception more likely.’
- ‘This drug dissolves in the womb and results in the formation of scar tissue at the ends of the fallopian tubes, presumably preventing contraception.’
- ‘Stem cells from amniotic fluid have been used to repair windpipe defects in unborn lambs while still in the womb.’
- ‘A hysteroscopy is an examination of the inside of the womb using a telescope called a hysteroscope.’
- ‘With the growth of anatomical knowledge, the literal hypothesis of the morbidly wandering womb became increasingly untenable.’
- ‘Babies who are exposed to mercury while in the womb can suffer severe damage to the nervous system and may die.’
- ‘The cervix is the lower, narrow part of the uterus or womb, which is located in a woman's lower abdomen.’
- ‘A woman's pelvic floor supports the bladder, womb and the bowel.’
Old English wamb, womb, of Germanic origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.