Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of feminism that emphasizes women's natural contribution to society (used by some in distinction to the term feminism and its association with white women)
the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation, female emancipation, women's rightsView synonyms
- ‘It's not clear what the difference is between feminism and womanism.’
- ‘It has sometimes been called Marxism, sometimes socialist feminism, sometimes womanism, sometimes materialist feminism, or feminist materialism, and sometimes is implicit in work that bears no theoretical labels.’
- ‘My students recently tackled the distinction between the philosophies of feminism and Black womanism.’
- ‘In addition to his nature-based theory, the author blends the traditional roles of women and ideas of hard core feminism into what he terms womanism.’
- ‘Distinguishing between womanism and feminism, however, has often been a subject of debate.’
- ‘Using Walker's definition of womanism, at the beginning of In Search of Our Mother's Gardens, Lauret indicates how Hurston serves as a model, as Walker formulates, revises, and offers a critique of the term.’
- ‘Collins admonishes: ‘… womanism and Black feminism may have little meaning, especially in the absence of actual social institutions dedicated to investigating Black women's critical social theory.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.