Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white or grayish mineral typically occurring in tabular masses in metamorphosed limestone. It is a silicate of calcium and is used as a source of rock wool.
- ‘If the three bulk titanite fractions and wollastonite from the same rock are combined a Model - 1 isochron with a slope equivalent to an age of 2056.01.5 Ma is obtained.’
- ‘High-T wollastonite + vesuvianite + grossular-bearing assemblages within neighbouring skarns that developed by reaction with exsolving H 2 O-rich volatiles support this conclusion.’
- ‘Calcium-rich species in the wollastonite area are not pyroxenes but pyroxenoids.’
- ‘The main minerals identified were mainly calcite also some diopside, wollastonite, iron oxides and a few scattered dolomite crystals.’
- ‘The white medallions presented as the first European porcelain are indeed Bottger's, but they're not ‘porcelain,’ but an alabaster fluxed ceramic in which wollastonite (a silicate of calcium) replaces mullite.’
- ‘The groundmass of these leucocratic segregations is heterogeneous, consisting of centimeter-scale regions dominated by nepheline, natrolite, alkali feldspar, or wollastonite.’
- ‘As wollastonite is a natural mineral, compounds containing wollastonite can be recycled.’
- ‘Even collectible new minerals have made recent appearances, including hubeiite and associated inesite from the Fengjiashan wollastonite mine at Daye, Hubei Province.’
- ‘The skarn layer has a massive texture with two assemblages, wollastonite + quartz + diopside and prehnite + datolite + actinolite + K - feldspar, which have been interpreted as evidence of hydrothermal metasomatism of carbonate rocks.’
- ‘The front fascia is reinforced with mica while the rear fascia, rocker panels, tear bumper cover and the spoiler are reinforced with wollastonite to enhance the stiffness and strength.’
- ‘These include pectolite, wollastonite, and johannsenite but also several of the minerals that are unique to the Kalahari manganese field, such as effenbergerite, wesselsite, kornite, and hennomartinite.’
- ‘The Badger Flats area is also well known for clinozoisite, garnet, hematite, scheelite, vesuvianite, wollastonite, and zoisite (variety thulite).’
Early 19th century: from the name of W. H. Wollaston(see Wollaston, William Hyde) + -ite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.