One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to give emphasis to the word or concept in question.‘he's trouble with a capital T’
- ‘Pet Shop Boys - Please: Classic with a capital C, debut album from my other all time favourite band.’
- ‘Yes that is Fog with a capital F. Really nice thick Fog that made everything look eerie and spooky.’
- ‘Their music is in the realms of punk/emo/rock, and their songs are excellent with a capital E.’
- ‘Guilty with a capital G. All involved on Alien Nation are sentenced to hard labor on Ceti Alpha 6.’
- ‘Progressive and vaguely left-of-centre, it was never political with a capital P.’
- ‘I know a winner when I see one, and baby, you're a winner with a capital W.’
- ‘In the US, Ouija Board - owned by a Lord, trained by a toff and ridden by a champion - is popular with a capital P.’
- ‘It was a debacle with a capital D writ large in ten foot illuminated letters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.