One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
And something more.‘it's evocative, with knobs on’
- ‘This is Russian late-Romanticism with knobs on, grandiose choral and orchestral effects with the occasional touch of harmonic spice, that seem to belong more in some Hollywood epic than a concert hall.’
- ‘I think this is best described as shooting yourself in the foot, with knobs on!’
- ‘Rifkind said: ‘This confirms our worst fears with knobs on.’’
- ‘Still, if a referee is going to fall for that kind of prima-donnish behaviour you might as well give it to him with knobs on!’
- ‘In other words, independence ceases to be a big bang and becomes devolution with knobs on, an incremental process by which the existing Scottish parliament extends its powers.’
- ‘On the other hand there's an eclipse today, which my friend Annie says is like a full moon with knobs on, so maybe we are all a bit twitchy and my own private meltdown will go unnoticed amongst everybody else's.’
- ‘Super Mario Sunshine is basically Mario 64 with knobs on.’
- ‘It was a full catholic affair with knobs on, including numerous hymns and several recitations of the Lord's prayer and interminable Hail Marys.’
- ‘Squander Two has an amusing article about British customer service. Everything he says is true with knobs on.’
- ‘The drawback with extended warranties is that they tend not to be worth the paper they're written on and in this case I fear that applies with knobs on!’
- ‘Romina said: ‘I thought the first time she developed a tumour was hell but when it came back it was hell with knobs on.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.