One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of connecting a listening device to a telephone line to secretly monitor a conversation.
observation, scrutiny, watch, view, inspection, monitoring, supervision, superintendenceView synonyms
- ‘But even more controversial are sections that make subtle changes in the rules for wiretapping, surveillance, e-mail monitoring, financial investigation, and search and seizure.’
- ‘These tools enable the government to intercept far more information without a warrant - i.e. without probable cause - than traditional telephone wiretapping.’
- ‘Until the proposals to change wiretapping and surveillance laws are made more specific, it is difficult to assess how damaging to civil liberties they will be.’
- ‘The use of so-called secure telephones presents almost no barrier to wiretapping, according to official US government documents.’
- ‘Keep in mind that the report covers only wiretapping performed in criminal cases, and does not include wiretapping in national security cases.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.