One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice of connecting a listening device to a telephone line to secretly monitor a conversation.
observation, scrutiny, watch, view, inspection, monitoring, supervision, superintendenceView synonyms
- ‘The use of so-called secure telephones presents almost no barrier to wiretapping, according to official US government documents.’
- ‘Until the proposals to change wiretapping and surveillance laws are made more specific, it is difficult to assess how damaging to civil liberties they will be.’
- ‘Keep in mind that the report covers only wiretapping performed in criminal cases, and does not include wiretapping in national security cases.’
- ‘These tools enable the government to intercept far more information without a warrant - i.e. without probable cause - than traditional telephone wiretapping.’
- ‘But even more controversial are sections that make subtle changes in the rules for wiretapping, surveillance, e-mail monitoring, financial investigation, and search and seizure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.