One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person, especially a politician, who exerts control or influence from behind the scenes.
manipulator, manoeuvrer, mover, worker, string-puller, mover and shaker, wheeler-dealerView synonyms
- ‘‘True enough,’ sighed the wirepuller, recalling his adventures with sock-puppet political appointees.’
- ‘Let us not, for even one moment, doubt the intentions of the wirepuller.’
- ‘Among American Presidents he is the supreme example of the political wirepuller, the leader who gets things done without ever seeming to lead.’
- ‘Every politician has enemies who claim they are but puppets for evil wirepullers.’
- ‘These same wirepullers then used the government to push the interstate highway system on the country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.