Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1US An electrician.
- ‘A journeyman electrician or wireman will still be responsible for answering to the job foreman, contractor or building foreman throughout the job.’
- ‘Now certain companies have come into existence which employee residential wiremen to serve their customers.’
- ‘A total of 786 candidates passed the competency certificate examination for supervisors and wiremen conducted in June this year by the State Board of Technical Education and Training.’
- ‘Inside wiremen are responsible for the installation of all wires, busses, conduits, switches, converters, transformers, electric motors, and other electrical apparatus of a stationary nature.’
- ‘Under the direct supervision of journeymen wiremen, the apprentice will learn the skills associated with being an electrician.’
2A journalist working for a news agency.
3informal A professional wiretapper.
- ‘He looked at the military, taking time off as an undergraduate to serve as a rifleman and wireman in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, and receiving a promotion to corporal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.