Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a dog breed) having stiff or wiry hair.‘a wire-haired terrier’
- ‘The Cairn Terrier, for instance is wire-haired.’
- ‘She is a great dog lover and has a wire-haired dachshund who is the love of her life.’
- ‘My parents' dog is a wire-haired fox terrier about eight years old.’
- ‘This woman bought a dog in Mexico, and they told her it was a Chihuahua, but when she brought it home, she discovered that in reality it was a wire-haired fox terrier!’
- ‘He is a German wire-haired pointer so he is ideal for mountain rescue, he has bags of enthusiasm and energy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.