Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a missile) directed by means of electrical signals transmitted along fine connecting wires that uncoil during the missile's flight.
- ‘In addition to ‘smart ‘bombs, the term is applied to a wide variety of weapons, from air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles to wire-guided torpedoes.’
- ‘These fights typically do not support the use of wire-guided missiles due to limited time and distance.’
- ‘Eagle has extensive experience in providing range and training land support, including operating live-fire ranges for both 25 mm and tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided missile engagement tables.’
- ‘Milan is a wire-guided anti-tank missile system which can be mounted on a vehicle.’
- ‘The wire-guided missile is invulnerable to electronic countermeasures and has a very small percentage of malfunctions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.