One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American holly with toothed, nonprickly leaves and berries which persist through the winter.
Genus Ilex, family Aquifoliaceae: several species, in particular the common winterberry (I. verticillata) and the smooth winterberry (I. laevigata)
- ‘Examples of compact plants are ‘Goldflame’ spirea, dwarf Serbian spruce, and ‘Red Sprite’ winterberry.’
- ‘While its needles are still alive and fresh, we decorate the tree with colorful glass globes, tinsel, red winterberries from a deciduous holly, spruce and fir cones, and cotton to simulate snow.’
- ‘Holly, winterberry, cotoneaster and many other food-bearers yield nutritious fare that's more appealing to a wider variety of birds than commercial food.’
- ‘Plant lower-growing, berry-laden shrubs, such as winterberry and chokeberry, as a bridge from the trees to ground covers.’
- ‘Placing cut greens such as magnolia, pine, or holly, along with berry-laden branches of winterberry or bittersweet vine can produce beautiful winter holiday boxes.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.