Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sports performed on snow or ice, such as skiing and ice skating.
- ‘In the historic town centre, skiing is kept at arm's length, and along its principal shopping street, Via Roma, you'll find grocers, wine merchants and local cafes rather than the usual winter-sports emporiums.’
- ‘Christenson, an avid winter sports enthusiast, cautions against the long-term effects of UV exposure.’
- ‘The ultimate destination for winter-sports enthusiasts, this area offers some of the best skiing in the world.’
- ‘Established at the end of the 19th century as a hunting village for the Bulgarian kings, Borovets is now renowned for skiing and winter sports.’
- ‘Skiing is Austria's leading winter sport, followed by ice skating and tobogganing.’
- ‘Favorite winter sports include cross-country and downhill skiing, and long-distance skating.’
- ‘It was while on a sailing course with the man who ran bobsleighing for the RAF that she first stumbled upon winter sports.’
- ‘At 7,200 feet, snow is not an issue at Badger Pass, Yosemite's family-oriented ski and winter sports area.’
- ‘Look at a winter-sports magazine these days and you'd think every skier and boarder spends their whole holiday airborne - whether it's charging off 20 ft cliffs or pulling back-flips in a half-pipe.’
- ‘Has an Israeli winter sports athlete ever won an Olympic, European or world championship medal?’
- ‘Snowshoeing is the only winter sport to experience growth in 2002.’
- ‘The company is one of several online businesses that provide information about the kind of lodging and equipment that's of particular interest to winter-sports enthusiasts.’
- ‘Many people enjoy winter sports such as ice skating and skiing.’
- ‘It's a ski town called Park City, and it lies only two canyons away: one of 12 separate ski areas within an easy drive of Salt Lake City, and the reason why, on a winter-sports trip to Utah, a hire car is essential.’
- ‘Other popular winter sports include skiing, ice-skating, snowshoeing, and tobogganing.’
- ‘The ranch's real specialty is injecting its wealth of adventure into dozens of packages, including hike-and-spa, weight-loss, and winter-sports options.’
- ‘Exposing ourselves to the possibility of hypothermia didn't seem like the ideal way to teach the kids about the joy of winter sports, so we turned back.’
- ‘Alternatively, you could try working for a winter-sports tour operator.’
- ‘So if you're one of those skiers or snowboarders who struggle to survive an entire northern hemisphere summer without a winter-sports fix, the Andes beckon.’
- ‘Scientists at the base hosted members of the ship's company taking them up into the mountains for an afternoon of winter sports, skiing and tobogganing.’
winter sports/ˌwin(t)ər ˈspôrts/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.