One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An offensive back who lines up outside an end.
- ‘Solich will have quarterback Eric Crouch, wingback Bobby Newcombe and those silos known as Nebraska offensive linemen returning, so the Huskers figure to keep on rolling.’
- ‘That position has him lining up in a variety of alignments, including tight end, wingback, and fullback.’
- ‘The key block was thrown by a wingback named Tom Coughlin.’
- ‘Ford City running back Aaron Bell carried 11 times for 75 yards and two touchdowns, while sophomore wingback Derek Bush led the Sabers with 84 yards and a score on just nine trips.’
- ‘Linebacker Joey Porter spent his first two seasons at Colorado State at H-back, and in high school he played wide receiver and wingback.’
A player who plays in a wide position on the field, taking part both in attack and defense.
- ‘We see him as a wing back because as an out and out winger he can deliver a good ball and at only 19 he has got bags of potential.’
- ‘St. Pat's were reduced to 14 men when their wing back and captain Andy Jameson was sidelined on a second yellow card midway through the second half.’
- ‘I suppose I would have to say left back because that is where I have played most of my career, but I can also play in a wing back role or on the left side of midfield.’
- ‘The wing back had been the Celtic player closest to Larsson when he collapsed in a challenge with Lyon defender Serge Blanc.’
- ‘Last month's signing of Peter Kennedy has had some people speculating that Paul Jewell might be ready to experiment with a wing back system with three centre backs in defence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.