Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An offensive back who lines up outside an end.
- ‘Linebacker Joey Porter spent his first two seasons at Colorado State at H-back, and in high school he played wide receiver and wingback.’
- ‘Ford City running back Aaron Bell carried 11 times for 75 yards and two touchdowns, while sophomore wingback Derek Bush led the Sabers with 84 yards and a score on just nine trips.’
- ‘Solich will have quarterback Eric Crouch, wingback Bobby Newcombe and those silos known as Nebraska offensive linemen returning, so the Huskers figure to keep on rolling.’
- ‘That position has him lining up in a variety of alignments, including tight end, wingback, and fullback.’
- ‘The key block was thrown by a wingback named Tom Coughlin.’
A player who plays in a wide position on the field, taking part both in attack and defense.
- ‘I suppose I would have to say left back because that is where I have played most of my career, but I can also play in a wing back role or on the left side of midfield.’
- ‘St. Pat's were reduced to 14 men when their wing back and captain Andy Jameson was sidelined on a second yellow card midway through the second half.’
- ‘Last month's signing of Peter Kennedy has had some people speculating that Paul Jewell might be ready to experiment with a wing back system with three centre backs in defence.’
- ‘The wing back had been the Celtic player closest to Larsson when he collapsed in a challenge with Lyon defender Serge Blanc.’
- ‘We see him as a wing back because as an out and out winger he can deliver a good ball and at only 19 he has got bags of potential.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.