One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dam or barrier built into a stream to deflect the current.
- ‘In order to map the network of wing dams, low-altitude aerial photographs at extreme low water will be needed.’
- ‘The depth of the wing dam allows you to safely move over the top of it and the large scour hole allows a place for fish to get out of the current.’
- ‘Catfish were not found behind rocks along the irregular and steeply sloping bank or wing dam face.’
- ‘The most notorious obstructions are the wing dams.’
- ‘Needless to say the rocky composition is habitat for food, and the wing dam provides a current break.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.