One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high stiff shirt collar with turned-down corners.
- ‘Moir's grandfather was the son of a butler, sporting spats and a wing collar.’
- ‘You can wear three basic types of shirts with a tuxedo: wing collar, turndown collar and mandarin collar.’
- ‘The young man's black hair is parted in the middle, he sports a moustache and sideburns, and wears a large black cravat under a wide wing collar.’
- ‘Bearded in some instances, clean-shaven in others, Lincoln is invariably shown in a black suit and white shirt with wing collar and black bow tie.’
- ‘The Ascot stock should be worn with a wing collar as an accessory to morning dress, although even the Prince of Wales is now to be seen sporting an ordinary tie and turned-down collar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.