One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A list of the wines available in a restaurant.
- ‘There's time to scan the wine list, sample a glass of Guigal's white Cotes du Rhone, or a red Mercurey from Faiveley.’
- ‘The wine list here is about the length of a late period Agatha Christie, but more of an unknown quantity.’
- ‘Three courses la carte will cost you £55, but that is nothing compared to the damage you can do to your credit card on the massive wine list.’
- ‘For example, wines are listed in order of lighter to fuller-bodied on the wine list, making it easier for servers to help customers choose.’
- ‘This pub is lovely during the quieter hours and it's got some tasty wines on the wine list but when it's busy it's full of squealing, pretentious media types.’
- ‘A colorful photograph will likely appear in the book-style beverage menu prominently placed on each table, along with the wine list.’
- ‘On each table are the menu and a wine list with wines available from 950 baht (or by the glass if you ask).’
- ‘The wine list is two sides of an A4 sheet with no room for showing off, and seems very intelligently chosen.’
- ‘More and more operations use a bar list in addition to a wine list to let customers know what they have.’
- ‘Another Bauduc white, Les Trois Hectares, sells for £45 on the Ramsay wine list.’
- ‘The wine list, thick as a church missal has won the Decanter wine list of the year with monotonous regularity.’
- ‘Mention of the burgundy reminds me that I have not referred to the wine list, which is extensive to say the least.’
- ‘The wine list offers lots of options in the teens and twenties (at $36, a Mondavi Zin is a splurge).’
- ‘There's nothing more annoying than seeing dual vintages on a wine list.’
- ‘Do you panic when snooty sommeliers thrust an encyclopaedic wine list at you and you know that they will be back in a minute demanding an answer?’
- ‘Over a couple of pints of Kingfisher lager (a wine list is available), we chose our starters.’
- ‘Andy wanted to see a wine list, but when no list was available, I had to remind him he was in Rome, Georgia, not Rome, Italy, and we all had a good laugh about that.’
- ‘Our monosyllabic waiter briefly sprung into life when it came to choosing from the wine list.’
- ‘Both the wine list and its menu are short, well-chosen, and affordable.’
- ‘My friend's face fell as he surveyed the wine list.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.