One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glass bottle for wine, the standard size holding 750 ml or 26 2/3 fl. oz.
- ‘Dale put her hand on the wine bottle, as I went to pour myself another glass.’
- ‘In a process very similar to extracting a cork from a wine bottle, the auger bit is twisted in and extracted without rotation.’
- ‘After knocking over an empty wine bottle and a glass onto the carpet, he switches on the bedside lamp and gasps.’
- ‘Air New Zealand has launched a plastic wine bottle that is lighter and more robust than glass, but has some of its cool feel.’
- ‘So, empty Marsala bottle, empty wine bottle, empty chutney jar, some milk cartons, empty can of corn.’
- ‘And lastly, water is essential for maintaining bowel regularity. Without it, waste matter in the colon can tend to get dry and stuck, a bit like cork in the neck of a wine bottle.’
- ‘He neatly dodged the wine bottle his master threw at him.’
- ‘On the table are an empty wine bottle, a clock and a pistol.’
- ‘Most people know that the standard wine bottle is 75 cl in volume, and that a magnum is 1.5 litres or two bottles.’
- ‘The bottle on the tray was not a wine bottle, but a medicine bottle.’
- ‘I stood and started to turn the corner that led to the kitchen when I noticed the empty wine bottle lying on the ground, next to the couch.’
- ‘As binning and storing wine became commonplace during the course of the 18th century, the wine bottle evolved into the cylindrical shape we know today.’
- ‘The mouth of the wine bottle clinks noisily against the glass, and Danielle Nichols takes a little more care as she pours herself a drink.’
- ‘Cesar grabbed the wine bottle and poured him a glass.’
- ‘He slammed down his coffee cup and snatched the wine bottle out of Andrew's hands.’
- ‘One can approach reading a German Wine bottle differently than one reads a French wine bottle.’
- ‘Waste glass can be reused for its original purpose; a wine bottle can be washed out, relabelled and refilled.’
- ‘Gathering up their glasses and the wine bottle they made their way down the steps to the waiting hot tub.’
- ‘The company asked students at Central St Martins College of Art and Design in London to design what they thought the wine bottle would be like in another 150 years.’
- ‘He even went to a Hassidic wedding, where he saw a comedian do a bit of tomfoolery with an empty wine bottle, balancing it on his head as he danced.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.