One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bar or small restaurant where wine is the main drink available.
- ‘The former headquarters of the NUM is next to Sheffield's grand City Hall and in the last few years the listed front section of the building has been turned into a trendy wine bar.’
- ‘Whenever I went to a restaurant, wine bar, or brasserie she would turn up, uninvited.’
- ‘Undeterred, we soldiered on and arranged a meeting at a local wine bar to discuss how we could take the project forward.’
- ‘Anyone ever been to Mango in Arundel - the wine bar and restaurant?’
- ‘A wine bar, restaurant and retail unit will be incorporated on one or more levels, with the remainder being designated as office accommodation.’
- ‘Over all, the restaurant had the feel of a sophisticated wine bar in a charming outdoor setting.’
- ‘The centre will eventually contain a High Street and Main Square, and a market square with shops, a pub, restaurants, a wine bar and supermarket.’
- ‘The ground floor is billed as a wine bar but has a full menu, and the restaurant is on the first floor.’
- ‘Meanwhile, back in the wine bar, the barman returned and served our drinks.’
- ‘Across the road in the local wine bar, Smith and Holland rapidly drew up their proposal: it was completed in half an hour.’
- ‘Harwich councillor Steven Henderson, who supported residents' protests against a wine bar, said he was happier about the idea of a restaurant and takeaway.’
- ‘The buildings are clustered around a courtyard with restaurants, a wine bar, a convenience store and a hair salon.’
- ‘The club is set over three levels; the ground floor is a café bar by day, and a wine bar at night.’
- ‘Visitors can learn about wine, taste various spirits and enjoy excellent food in the wine bar or restaurant.’
- ‘Undaunted though, she remortgaged her Edinburgh flat, sold her car and threw in her job at a local wine bar.’
- ‘They go drinking together in a wine bar and later visit other immigrants, in this case from Poland.’
- ‘Patricia Wells would feel right at home at Paradou, the wine bar and café that materialized opposite Pastis two months ago.’
- ‘Primarily a wine bar, this comfy café is housed in a former police station and serves up contemporary art as well as a robust brunch and dinner menu.’
- ‘They like keeping fit and going out - enjoying trips to the wine bar and visits to trendy coffee shops.’
- ‘It is a cafe and wine bar more than a restaurant, but it does serve a select brunch menu and an evening menu.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.