One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, narrow box in which flowers and other plants are grown, placed on an outside windowsill.
- ‘Another plant that will draw second looks in a window box is Brassica oleracea, the ornamental cabbage, low growing, in soft shades of pink, green and white.’
- ‘They are an inexpensive way to brighten up a bare patch in a flowerbed, or put with other spring flowering plants such as primulas in a window box or patio pot.’
- ‘Lace curtains hung in the windows and just outside, lavender was growing in the window box.’
- ‘You can join in the fun with a pretty plant container, a window box, a flower-filled balcony or even a hanging basket.’
- ‘Not all properties have a garden, but it is rare to find one that doesn't have scope for some kind of horticultural element, be it a window box or a tub outside the front door.’
- ‘I replanted the kitchen window box three weeks ago and it came into bloom in the sunshine last weekend.’
- ‘Take walks in the park, visit your local botanical garden, plant a garden or a window box.’
- ‘A special planting day has been proposed where you can bring along your window box or hanging basket and the committee will plant them for you - leaving you with just the small task of keeping them watered.’
- ‘A window box is even large enough to grow radishes and arugula.’
- ‘I've grown herbs in a window box and I would like to transplant them into the garden and plant up the window box with some bulbs.’
- ‘Fill your window box about half full with the potting mix, and add water to moisten the mix if it's dry.’
- ‘A window box filled with compost and direct-planted will become completely waterlogged unless there are drainage holes.’
- ‘Another tiny flower that works well in a window box is diascia, an evergreen perennial from South Africa that thrives in our climate.’
- ‘As far as we are concerned, anything that grows is a candidate for a window box.’
- ‘When it comes to planting up a window box or tub, select good-quality large bulbs because the blooms are seen at close quarters.’
- ‘You don't need an elaborate set-up to paint your window box before planting it.’
- ‘Charlie asked as Uncle Henry turned to leave, ‘Can she plant some flowers in the window box?’’
- ‘The classic window box plant is ivy, from plain dark green to variegated pale green and white.’
- ‘In every window was a window box filled with large blossoms, and every door on the street was painted something garish.’
- ‘If primulas are not your thing, plant up your window box with perennials.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.